No surprise! The temp today ranges from 68-78 degrees. It just doesn't feel Christmas-y, but I can't complain! I woke up this morning wanting to see shorebirds. there are many options here in San Diego, but I chose to go to Crown Point which is on the North end of Mission Bay. As I arrived I was greeted by this beautiful fellow:
Sharp Shinned Hawk
With a greeting like this, things could only get better! And they did. I saw a beautiful creature that I had never seen before. And there wasn't just one, but there was about a dozen of them. They are a winter visitor and I consider myself lucky to have seen them (even if they wouldn't get too close, hence the not so great photos)
Brant Goose
there is also a common resident here. Many people don't like Seagulls, but I love them. Any bird that talks as much as they do, are all right in my book!
I also was able to encounter many a shore bird. they too are rather skittish and don't allow you to get too close
After my tour of the shore and all the lovely birds, (many of which I saw but could not photograph because they were either too far away or too fast) I decided to go to Sunset Cliffs in Ocean Beach.
Only in San Diego does Christmas Eve look like this:
As noted below, the cliffs are not stable and me being me (a class A klutz), I decided to stay a safe distance back. these little fellows were obviously risk takers!
as you can see below, this is the area where the poor folk live (yes, that comment is dripping with sarcasm)
I only live about 10-15 minutes from the beach, but when I go hiking or for a nature walk I always head East towards the mountains. The mountains speak to me, they bring me peace. But I will say after today, I realized there is much more to offer than I thought at the beach. It's not just lots of people, traffic and nowhere to park (it's those things too) but is also an enormous habit where thousands of creatures live and are meant to be observed and enjoyed.
Happy Holidays 2013!




























Wonderful photos! Christmas Eve is meant to be spent amongst our closest family and friends. You were in the right place. Happy Holidays!
ReplyDelete