when i started going there, there were 12 geese, now (with this year's babies, so far) there is 23. A few have left with a visiting winter flock. I love these geese, I've named many (and can usually only tell them apart by their personality) I love the fact that they know me as well. I can be on the other side of the lake and they'll see me and they'll start honking and either swim, fly or run over to me. It's really hard to try and hide while trying to get a picture of a hawk or Mandarin Duck because those Canada geese will see me and start making a whole lot of noise and scare my potential photo subject away. I do not mind, my babies know me and know that i have cracked corn in my backpack.
The first babies arrived on 4/16/13 (earlier than usual)
i was lucky enough to come on the day that they hatched. This is Nancy (Sid's mate) and her little brood. Sid was to my right and allowed me to sit with the babies for some time. Sadly there are only 3 babies now. That always seems to happen :( One little one won't survive the first week.
This lovely lady (Lucia) just laid her eggs on 4/20. i was lucky enough to see her actually lay an egg.
She and her mate Ezra are very protective of their nest and i cannot wait to see those babies hatch in approx 30 days.
Soon there should be baby mallards and baby wood ducks....i cannot wait!!


No comments:
Post a Comment