Back in March i took a three hour drive to the Salton Sea. I had never been there, but a friend had recently
gone and commented on "All the Birds" there. I became intrigued and figured, I've never been and it was
about time.
Some people refer to the Salton Sea as a "birder's paradise" or "an ocean in the desert?" or
a "wasteland" or "ecological disaster"
Is the Salton Sea deserted? Perhaps by people (in some areas) but there are people that do
live near and around this enormous sea in the desert, BUT the birds are everywhere. I cannot
look at a location and see so much wildlife and consider said place "deserted" or "dead"
But there was death, A LOT OF IT!! from a distance as you walk up you see what appear
to be white beaches. As you start walking on the shore you realize this is not sand at all...
What is it then? Well, crushed barnacle shells, salt, some sand, but mostly and abundantly, Dead fish :(
i was surrounded by thousands upon thousands of dead fish, most were skeleton, bleached by the
hot desert sun, but there were a few "fresher"ones. I had no idea this was here and i wanted to
know why. well, since i was the only one there, this data was going to have to wait until i got home.
so i tried to focus on the beautiful living creatures who were not only there, but seemingly flourishing
all the birds did not seem to like my presence, so i had to keep my distance, but they were
all a sight to see.
later that night when i got home, i found there was no huge fish massacre, there was no plague, the Salton
Sea is simply too salty for the fish to survive and something to do with the algae taking all the oxygen and the fish suffocating. Sad indeed. Upon my research i found many a website and
chat room where people feel the Salton Sea should be destroyed or filled in. That it serves no purpose. Look above at those birds, do you think they believe their home serves no purpose? I doubt it.
On the way home i stopped off at Anza Borrego, i just did a short walkabout, but managed
to get a photo of this little California Gnatcatcher.
All the animals & beauty i saw this day made the 7+ hours of driving (and almost a tank of gas) well worth it. Unfortunately, the desert is the place you go to in the winter or early spring, NO other time. Unless of course you don't mind 115-120+ degrees, which i admit I'm a wuss and i do.








Really incredible photos! Looks like a very interesting place.
ReplyDelete