I carefully moved over three lanes and got out of the car on the freeway and called 911. Even though it was early and there were very few people on the road, when a car did drive by it was kinda scary. the side of the road where this call box was is rather narrow. Once again , if I had a cell phone, I wouldn't have to get out of the car. No matter, when I got through I was told the fire had already been called in and the fire department was on the way. I felt relief. I took the photo below right after I got off the phone:
the fire was right behind this building in the canyon. The whole area there is a business district surrounded by the protected land and the San Diego River. We have so little 'protected' land here in San Diego and we have experienced so many devastating fires. When I was driving home several hours later, all was well. Fortunately this fire was in a central area and probably distinguished quickly. There are no homes in the area, but I can't help but think of all the wildlife in the area that may have been affected. How did the fire start? Who's to say? Someone throwing a cigarette out the window? A homeless person making a campfire? Someone trying to start a fire? Something a lot of people don't know about San Diego, is we receive so LITTLE rain and this last winter was particularly dry and that all the undeveloped land and nature preserves are more or less kindling. All it takes is a spark. Fires are part of nature and are very important to the eco system, but often when humans are responsible, the fire is not a beneficial occurrence. But it looks like this fire was stopped before any true damage could happen. Always good news!
No comments:
Post a Comment