Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Free Project

I had a co-worker ask me if wanted the ceramic pot below.



 a free item I could re-make?  Of course I wanted it!!  it's a perfectly fine pot as it was, but really wouldn't 'go' in my house, so I began the transformation.

#1 two coats of Gesso:

#2 three coats of Americana Warm White Paint:

then I had the great idea of grabbing my sandpaper and distressing the whole thing... guess what?  HORRIBLE idea!  it looked ghastly!!  it looked like I painted it white and sandpapered it.  it didn't look 'distressed' it looked like I painted it, and dropped it and a bunch of paint smeared off.  NOT a good look!!  So back to the drawing board.  More Gesso, more paint and I was back to the white pot again. BORING!!!  Decoupage?  Stencil?  what to do?  I really liked the thick layer of paint and it had a chalky appearance, so I didn't want to cover the whole thing.  it was the design at the top that was really throwing me of.  So I decoupaged that, added some sisal twine, then white washed the twine and I came up with this:


it certainly doesn't look like the same pot now!  I added some greens, a little birdhouse pick that I made and a turkey feather and I am done.  This project was free, money wise, but it did take several hours.  But as far as I'm concerned, it was time well spent.

Speaking of time well spent, I went to Lindo Lake yesterday and spent time with my favorite residents: the Canada Geese.

this is Nancy AKA Mama Goose.  She allowed me to sit here with her and her babies for some time and when they all finally drifted off into goose slumber, it took my exit.  Yes, time well spent.







2 comments:

  1. The vase is exquisite! Well done! I love the touch with the bird house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely photo of Nancy. She looks so peaceful and serene. I pray sweet Nancy will be OK and take a new mate.

    It touches my heart to see the way they trust you.

    ReplyDelete