Friday, October 4, 2013

Mandarin Ducks

 
there are a pair of Mandarin Ducks that winter at Lindo Lake.  they have arrived the last two years after a year absence and it is always so good to see them!  People drive from all around just to see and photograph them. Just take a look at Mogwai the male and you can see why.

 
they are beautiful little ducks!  But as you can see the males are extraordinary!  But the little females aren't too bad either:
 
Mogwai & Mandy
 
each year they arrive in the winter and leave right when spring arrives and the go, wherever it is that they live full time.  but this year they toyed with all the regulars.  We thought they were going to nest right here at Lindo Lake, they really seemed to be checking out the Wood Duck Boxes and the tree hollows:
 

 
but alas it was not meant to be, the left like they do every year.
 
about three weeks ago I was feeding the mallards and wood ducks when something caught my eye:
 
 
at a quick glance she could have been mistaken for a female wood duck:
(male and female wood ducks)
 
 
but no no!  This is a female Mandarin.  I immediately asked her where she came from (needless to say I received no response)  then I realized, she wouldn't be alone, so I asked her where her mate was (again no answer)  one quick look behind me and I saw this fellow:
 

 
a short feathered version, but who knew maybe they went through the same awkward (eclipse) phase as the male wood duck, then I noticed, this little guy wasn't banded (like Mogwai) perhaps this goofy little fellow was an offspring? and then I saw him:
 
there he is, that's Mogwai (with some shorter feathers, post molting perhaps?).  they had gone off  (to their full time home?), nested and produced offspring (there was also a smaller female with them, she was a little squirrely and I didn't get her picture) and they came back to Lindo Lake.  they spend their time with the large group of wood ducks and they seem completely at home.
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. OMG! Those are the most adorable, beautiful birds I have ever seen! I was waiting for you to say they cross-bred with the Woodies. Ducks have been known to mate outside their species. In Minnesota, it happens often between Mallards and Pintails or Black Ducks. Here's an article about these hybrids. Get ready for a hunting picture--sorry. :-(

    http://www.ducks.org/conservation/waterfowl-biology/waterfowl-hybrids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Per usual, your photos are incredible!!!!!

    ReplyDelete