Monday, February 3, 2014

Completed Altered Bottles

Last week i began work on these Christmas Clearance bottles that i got for 99 cents. this one got 2 coats of gesso, two coats of silver paint, crackle medium and then white paint and this was the result.


i held onto it for about a week.  i wasn't sure what to do with it.  Well i completed it (as well as the other bottle i bought) on Sunday:
i knew i didn't want to cover up too much, i wanted the crackle to show through.  I really like the end result!

i added lots of baubles and jewelry pieces as well as some lace, 'vintage' paper and of course a bird image.  the opening of the bottle was large, so no cork i had would fit, so i added some feathers (in this case, 1 Great Blue Heron feather & 1 Canada Goose Feather)  both feathers were found, not bought.


Unfortunately i did not take a before picture of the other bottle, but i did the same thing, except after the gesso, i painted it 'suede' (off white), then crackle, then slate green.  well the difference in the paint colors wasn't that different, so the crackling didn't stand out.  So i went over it with some Tim Holtz distress ink, it helped!  Below is the finished project:
More baubles and doo dads (all of which i had)  This project cost about $4.  the bottles were 99 cents and i also bought some faux glass pearls for $2. Rather than use feathers for this one, i used some thistle thingies i had acquired from a hiking trip several weeks ago.

i am in love with this 'vintage' document paper.  It's actually created from a Heidi Swapp stamp i got at Michaels several weeks ago.  The stamp is large, it's 5.5 X 5.5 inches.  I stamped it onto some newsprint paper, used some distress ink to age it and then slapped it on the bottle and then added my jewels.  

I love a cheap project! and this was definitely one.  not only was it cheap, but i am very happy with the results.

Speaking of  cheap project, i bought this dishtowel for $5.00 at Cost Plus, strictly for the purpose of turning it into a pillow.  I have no sewing machine, so i had to do it by hand.  Once i sewed it, i stuffed it and now it resides on my couch:

yes that is stitching on the right hand upper corner.  Perfect?  No way!  Fortunately perfection is not my goal...






5 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I do have a question, especially since I have an altered mason jar to do. When you speak of paint: "silver paint, crackle medium" for the first jar and for the second jar you wrote and then "white paint and/or "suede' (off white), then crackle, then slate green".

    My question, being so new is what paint are you using? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi kathleen! I just used regular acrylic paint, if i remember correctly, both were from the Martha Stewart line. First i painted the jar with the silver (gold for the second one), let dry, then added a 'crackle medium' (also martha stewart) let it become tacky then added the final acrylic paint. The the crackling begins and the beauty starts....hope that helps!! Chandel :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Chandel, Thank you so much. Still debating how I am going to do this mason jar.

    Thinking going with either a Paris theme or a nautical theme. I certainly have seveal themes to pick from. I just received my partner's altered jar and she just put some lace on it and then some faux pearls on top. Not much more than that. Her's was simple but beautiful but she glued the top down so it couldn't be open. The jar looks like she used glitter first and then the lace on the bottom of the jar.

    So I think keeping it simple is all I need to do. Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for the towels at Cost Plus! I love what you have done!

    ReplyDelete