Monday, February 3, 2014

Lake Murray

I go to Lake Murray quite often.  I like the views and all the birding opportunities.  However, Lake Murray is a very popular spot for walkers, runners and mountain bikers.  there is a "2 lane" fire road that goes around the lake, but i tell you, it is crowded!  I do not like crowds especially when i am seeking a glimpse at wildlife.  Fortunately there is a secondary trial that is down towards the shore and very few people take this route.  So whenever there is the opportunity, i take the secondary trails




Lake Murray is a good sized lake and i still wonder why there is not more waterfowl.  Maybe because boating is a popular activity here?  Either way, it's good to see the resident and migratory have enough room to stretch out and spread their wings.



this is something you would NEVER see at Lindo Lake, a Canada Goose and a white goose?  An odd pair....

I THINK these are Gadwall

I woke up these Redhead from their nap, i felt bad.  At least they didn't run away...

Greater Scaup

These are the resident nesting Osprey.  This was taken from across the lake, hence the bad picture.  But they appeared to be building up their nest and i know from previous experience, they get VERY upset when you get close, even if they're 100 feet in the air. And far be from be to upset them :)


I think this is a female Blue Gray Gnatcatcher. at first i thought it was a California Gnatcatcher, but she is too light.  Isn't she the sweetest little bird?  And the fact that she stayed still long enough for me to photograph her, was a rare occurrence!


                                         This is a downside of people and nature: GARBAGE!!!
this was just one load i collected along the shore.  I collected so many hand fulls of fishing line.  there are garbage cans all along the main paved trail, i guess it takes too much effort to walk a hundred yards to throw something away. While i did collect quite a bit of trash, in the grand scheme of things, it could be much worse.  As i stated before, this lake is very busy and crowded, so i think in general, most people actually clean up after themselves and hey, i don't mind picking up trash, anything to keep it going into the water and interfering with the animals.  Besides i won't allow some trash picking to ruin my day in a beautiful place.




No comments:

Post a Comment